Thursday 27 February 2014

Like riding a bike they say…

I’ve recently started riding a bicycle on a regular basis from my house along a beautiful paved bicycle path that runs from the Umgeni River Bird Park to Ushaka (roughly 22km there and back again).


I hadn’t cycled much in the last couple of years… so it’s taken me a couple of rides to feel super confident again - and now I’m quite happily riding without holding the handle bars and stuff like that. It comes back to you I guess!


While out riding this morning I started thinking about how much I used to love cycling as a kid. I REALLY loved my BMX and was always on my bike - and I was always happy on my bike!


I was probably around 16 - and got my motor bike and then later a car. I don’t even know what happened to my old bike.


In my 30’s on a weekend away at Dikololo Game Reserve I rode a bicycle for the first time in years and I absolutely loved it. On a bicycle - there’s a giraffe! Such a happy experience. In fact one of the happiest memories in my life!


Also in my 30’s on trip to Zanzibar, we hired bicycles and rode on the beach (the actual sand is very compacted and riding isn’t too difficult). That was a really happy experience for me. Riding a bicycle. On the beach! Loved it so much! I think one of the happiest memories in my life!


Last year (my last year in my 30’s) on a trip to Malawi I hired a bicycle in Nyika Game Reserve in northern Malawi and spent about 5 hours or so riding a bicycle alone over a distance of 25km or so, amongst zebra and buck and snakes and all sorts of other interesting creatures! I think that this also is one of my happiest memories in my life!


Only now - in my 40’s - have I actually realised that riding a bicycle makes me happy! I really cannot describe how awesome it makes me feel to be riding a bicycle from my house to the beach! It’s an amazing feeling. So now as often as I can I am riding down to the beach and along the beachfront and loving every moment of it!


Those moments in your life that make you happy when you think about them. Write them down. Look at them. Think about what it is that makes those moments happy for you. Find that thing that makes you happy and do it again. And again. And AGAIN!


Make yourself happy!




from Tumblr http://ift.tt/N6pSbk

No comments:

Post a Comment